Thursday, June 2, 2011

Budget Blinging a Bookcase

Beautiful and interesting does not have to be expensive. Just about everything in this bookcase was thrifted or from a discount store (Wal-Mart, Big Lots, etc.) It doesn't matter if you don't like the color. Spray paint heals all. 

Here's the list and how I did it:

1. Birdcage - $5 (Animal Helpers ReTAIL thrift store) - It was an ugly mustard gold. I spray painted it Robin's Egg Blue (Michael's). It was REALLY blue so I mixed some Magnolia White acrylic paint with clear glaze and painted over it to soften the color. I stuck a couple of flameless candles from Wal-Mart inside.

2. Frame on top - free (I already had it.) It was silver. I spray painted it Heirloom White and rubbed some Minwax Dark Walnut on it. I made the Family Rules subway art on MSWord. Mine was inspired by thispost at Sassy Sanctuary.

3. Silver frame - free (a graduation gift) but it's from Patina Blu in Mount Pleasant, which I've never been to but probably can't afford!
4. Metal canister/pot thing (I don't remember how much it was but it's from Michael's.) I got it a year ago or so and they still have them. It was bronze. I spray painted it Heirloom White but let some of the bronze peek through. Flameless candle inside.
5. Lantern - $5 (Big Lots) It was orange or something. I spray painted it Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze. 
6. Brown burlap frame with silver sand dollar - another graduation gift - LOVE THIS FRAME!
7. Green candle holder $5 (Big Lots) I hot glued a piece of burlap ribbon around it.
8. Glass dish - $2 (ReTAIL thrift store)
9. Covered books - I covered some old college textbooks in ivory resume paper with stick-on cameo thingys from Big Lots. I added another piece of burlap ribbon to the front book.
10. Fleur de Lis bookend - $5 or $6 (Big Lots) 
11. Magazine holder on bottom shelf - $7 (Michael's) The brand was 25% off plus I had a 40% off coupon. Sweet!

The hurricane and candle belong to the dining room table. I still have to find something to go there.

For those of you with kids (or large pets), get yourself some Museum Wax. Museums use it to protect priceless items from damage in earthquakes. It will not damage your furniture, can be removed and is reusable. I have two little earthquakes that destroy my house daily and they have not yet been able to break anything I've secured with this miracle stuff.

I have not found it yet in stores but you can order it from Home Depot for $10.49. It will probably last you a lifetime and save you a lot of money and hassle in replacing broken stuff.

I'm linking up to Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures Party.


No comments:

Post a Comment